Grilled Peaches: A New Late-Summer Favorite
I had no idea - until recently - that August is National Peach Month!! How fun! This Georgia gal is over here craving a delicious peach as I write this post, knowing I've already had more than my fair share. 😉 That's why I'm excited to share a fun new way to enjoy these delicious orange fruits...by grilling on the stove (or outdoors!). I used a grillpan that was easy to handle and had a simple, delicious dessert that was ready in just minutes. IMHO, grilled peaches are going to be your go-to for late summer, when or IF you tire of peach cobbler. With the cinnamon and ice cream, y'all, this seriously tastes like a deconstructed peach cobbler. (Yum.)
White vs. Yellow Peaches
For a full breakdown, this article will provide helpful insight! Basically, white peaches (which are "newer" to the peach scene here in the States) are sweeter than yellow peaches, which pack more of an acidic punch. You can smell the difference without taking a single slice - the white peaches are clearly more delicate than the larger, yellow varieties. The flesh of a white peach is pale (which I thought really accentuated the grill marks here!). Both yellow and white peaches are interchangeable in recipes. (Even better!)
Grilled Peaches Recipe: Tips
- Grill the peaches when they are less ripe and the flesh can withstand the heat for several minutes.
- Coat the grill pan with the cooking oil of your choice to reduce sticking.
- Use tongs to flip the peaches and pinch them before turning to make sure they are cooking. The peach should "give" a little, but not completely fall apart.
- Add a pinch of cinnamon (or spice of your choice) after grilling AND after ice cream to make the flavor more even.
- If grilling over an open flame, move the peaches to indirect heat once you turn them on their back.
- When adding the peaches to the grill pan, place them at a diagonal to the grill rows, if you like the diagonal marks across the peaches.
- Make this vegan-friendly by topping with vegan ice cream!
If your peaches are SUPER firm (check the area where the stem is and press gently), you can ripen them faster by placing them in a paper bag to trap ethylene gas and make the process faster.
Grilled Cinnamon Peaches
- grill pan
- pastry or other brush
- 2 peaches I used white peaches
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup vegan ice cream
- Heat grill pan on stove over medium heat.
- Cut peaches in half and remove pit. Use brush to lightly coat with olive oil.
- Place peach (interior side down) on the grill pan - at an angle if you want diagonal grill marks. Allow to cook for about 7 minutes. Use prongs to test if the peach flesh gives a little, without falling apart. Less ripe peaches will take longer to grill.
- While still on grill pan, coat the back with a little more olive oil. Flip on back side and allow to grill for a few additional minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and remove from pan. Top with ice cream scoop and a little more cinnamon. Enjoy!
Are white or yellow peaches your favorite? And, how do you plan to celebrate peaches this August - from anywhere in the world? Until next time, enjoy some fun summertime drinks and cheers to your #hearthhealthhappiness!
Leave a Reply