Table of Contents
Add a header to begin generating the table of contents
Mini cinnamon rolls recipe from leftover pizza dough
Why have one (or two) large cinnamon rolls when you could have several adorable mini cinnamon rolls to satisfy your sweet tooth? When I made these, I *foolishly* thought I would show self-discipline and only have a few to get a hint of sweetness and then move on with my evening. Nope. Instead, Cliff and I both ended up eating 4 of 5 at a time. Great sign, right?
Picture little pinwheels that offer a delicate yet firm crust, with a burst of "ooey gooey-ness" that makes cinnamon rolls so much fun. These little guys make me feel like I'm a child again, even though these can be enjoyed at any age! I had a little leftover pizza dough from the rustic cast iron skillet recipe last week and decided I wanted to make either a dessert pizza or cinnamon rolls. These mini rolls won out, but I do plan to make a dessert pizza soon, so stay tuned!
Choose the size you prefer
If you prefer larger, full-size cinnamon rolls, that's fine! I would suggest making just a few with the amount of dough you have on hand, or make a full batch of pizza dough and use all the dough for the cinnamon rolls. It's totally up to you! I like this mini cinnamon roll recipe because you can grab a handful for a lunch dessert (yes, that's a thing for me), or easily incorporate into your breakfast. If you are creating a breakfast buffet or cheese board, this size would be ideal to allow guests the opportunity to sample a little of everything. And, yes, I am the guest that will sample everything. Moderation took me a long time to learn, and is still hit-or-miss for me on any given day. 😉
Flip the cinnamon rolls over after they've finished baking to let the shiny "goo" be the first thing your hungry friends see. You can sprinkle with toppings of your choice, like nuts or actual sprinkles if kiddos insist.
Stay close to the cinnamon rolls as they bake. The cinnamon/brown sugar mixturee will melt out of the bottom - creating a nice glaze on the bottom that is tasty, but can burn quickly. Use a spatula to gently compile the "goo" and drizzle over the top of the cinnamon rolls before adding more topping.
Mini Cinnamon Rolls
For Cinnamon Rolls
- 2½ cups pizza dough
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch flour for rolling out dough
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tablespoons almond milk add one tablespoon at a time to sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 365º F.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out pizza dough until thin, approximately ⅛th of an inch thick. This should make a rectangle about 12" long and 9" wide. To make a thicker dough, the rectangle can be smaller.
- Sprinkle light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and salt over the open dough. Use a butter knife or spatula to spread the ingredients evenly. This promotes an equal amount of gooey filling in each bite.
- Gently roll the rectangle length-wise, making the "turns" tight. Using a sharp knife, cut 1" slices, creating about 16 mini cinnamon rolls. Place them on cast iron skillet.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the dough turns a golden brown.
- In a small bowl, add powdered sugar. Slowly add milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until the glaze becomes a thick liquid that can be drizzled over the cinnamon rolls. Add pure vanilla extract and stir until incorporated. If you use less milk, add only 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Allow to cool and use spatula to remove from skillet. Some cinnamon will leak out of rolls during baking, so I like to flip them over to serve and showcase the shiny coating. Drizzle with glaze after about 10 minutes from removal from oven. Enjoy!
Cinnamon rolls can be made SO many different ways - some prefer really fluffy; others, with a nut-filled center and topping...the list is almost endless. How do you prefer yours? Do you enjoy cinnamon rolls for breakfast or dessert - or whenever? If you need some inspiration for a breakfast buffet, try some "sunrise" cheese boards with finger food that will get the day started off on the best note ever.
Until next time, enjoy these mini cinnamon rolls (have a handful for me!) and cheers to your #hearthhealthhappiness!